Monday 21 November 2011

The legacy of Danish writer

Currently, my son loves reading the storybooks written by Roald Dahl, a British writer, which he borrows from his school library. Interesting books, kind of unique and sometimes, even I, myself read them.  It reminds me when I was a little kid, I enjoyed reading the fairytale books such as 'Thumbelina', 'The princess and the pea', 'The emperor's new clothes', 'The Little Mermaid', 'The ugly duckling' and many more. Being just a kid, it didn't really matter to me who was the writer as long as I liked the book. 




~Google pix~



I came to know the author of those books when I was in Copenhagen, way back in 2005. He was Hans Christian Andersen (H.C. Andersen), the 19th Century Danish writer whom was born in Odense, Denmark. He moved to Copenhagen when he was 14 and died at the age of 70. His works on the children books had tremendously delighted children worldwide including myself. His writing of poetry and stories have been translated into more than 150 languages which many had inspired the movies, plays, ballets and animated films (e.g. Disney films). On his birthday, April 2 is celebrated as International Children Book Day. 

It happened to be in the year 2005 when I was around in Copenhagen, they celebrated the bicentenary of Andersen's birth. A rememberance on his legacy, highlighting the history of his life and work. Being on the unpaid leave or best described as being on a summer holiday, I had the ample time to tour the city and visited the places (other than going to shopping streets and malls) with my 4 year old son at that time, while hubby was busy working :) 


Visited the Gallery of H.C. Andersen with no one else but Akid ;)




The statue of H.C. Andersen in the Copenhagen city





A statue of The Little Mermaid was placed in the Copenhagen harbor in honor of H.C. Andersen



0 comments: