Monday 19 March 2012

Easy peasy recipe: Mashed potato and gravy

This is my family's favourite and I'm sharing the recipe here. The gravy recipe was taken from myresipi.com with slight adjustment due to available ingredients and my convenience ;)

Both hubby & son's favourite dish

Mashed potato
Ingredients:
- 5 potatoes (medium size)
- 2 tbs butter
- fresh milk
- salt & pepper

Method:
1. Peel off potatoes and boil til soft.
2. Drain the water and mash the potatoes while they're hot.
3. *Melt the butter and mix with the potatoes.
4. Add fresh milk bit by bit to the mixture and stir to combine, til soft up to your liking. 
5. Add salt & pepper to taste.

*Notes: for those who like it more creamy can add 1 more tbs of butter. (in step 3)


Mashed Potato gravy - credit to myresipi.com 
Ingredients:
- 650 ml water (I roughly put 2-3 mugs of water)
- 5 tbs of chicken stock (I used a cube of maggi brand stock)
- 1 onion chopped (I used half of big onion)
- 1 celery (I didn't use)
- 40 g butter (I didn't add any)
I don't like it too buttery since butter has been added in the mashed potato.
- 20 g flour (I used 1 tbs of flour)
- 1 tbs tomato sauce
- 1 tbs of oyster sauce
- few drops of soy sauce
- salt & pepper

Method:
1. Boil the water in the pot and add chicken stock, celery and onion. Simmer for ab 10 mins.
2. Then filter the sauce into a bowl (to discard the onion & celery).
3. *Pour back the sauce into the pot and put on a low heat. 
4. Dissolve the flour in the water before adding into the pot and stir.
5. Add the oyster sauce, tomato sauce and few drops of soy sauce (for colouring).
6. *Add salt & pepper to taste.

*Notes: 
1. taste first before adding the salt as the oyster sauce & the chicken stock is already salty.
2. If prefer to add butter, melt the butter in the pot before pouring the sauce into it. (in step3)

Serve the mashed potato with the gravy and it's yummy! I can say, more or less like the kfc version;)


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

gonna try this :) thanx!

jz said...

It is really delicious and so easy to make.Trully appreciate your sharing

Pinnon said...

jz, glad you like it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I cook this a few time and it's awesome.

How to make gravy concentrated? Mine always too thin...

Unknown said...

Thank q so much.. Turn out well.. I added corn flour to make it thicker..

Yap said...

hello! could i ask how many servings is this?

Amna said...

Thank you!! This is very helpful