Saturday 12 May 2012

Easy peasy recipe: Arabic Salad




Once in a while (maybe the right word is once in a blue moon;p) when I'm in the mood of learning the new Arabic words, I'll search for the lesson in the You Tube and I kinda love these simple lessons (few different sessions) by this lady by the name of Maha. One of the lessons that I followed, came with the salad recipe. I was listening to it while I was cooking for lunch and automatically, I searched for the ingredients available in my fridge and wallah, the Arabic salad was one of the lunch dishes for that day. I'm sharing the recipe here as well as the Arabic words for the ingredients :) 

Arabic Salad (Salata Arabiyyah) - credit to Maha's you tube.

Ingredients:

Main
-2 Cucumber (khiyar)
-2 Tomato (tamatem)
-1 small Capsicum (felfel) 
-Onion leaves (basal akhdar)
-Mint leaves (Na'na')

For sauce
-1/2 tsp of salt (melh)
-1 Lemon (laymoon)
-1 tbs of Olive oil (zayt zaytoon)
-a bit of black pepper (bahar)
-a bit of cumin (kamoon)  ~ I didn't add this as it was not available in my kitchen at that time.

Above is the original ingredient for Arabic salad, however I also added carrots and salad leaves to it. 

Method:

Dice the cucumber, tomatoes and capsicum. 
Chop the onion and mint leaves.
If you like to add salad leaves / carrot, cut them to small pieces.
Mix them (veggies) altogether in a large bowl and put aside. 

For its sauce, we need to extract the lemon juice and pour it into a cup. 
Then add a small amount of salt, olive oil, black pepper and cumin into the juice and stir it.
Finally combine the sauce with the mixed veggies and it's ready to be served :)

Easy peasy, right. Give it a try... It's yummy and it also goes well with Malaysian lauk pauk such as ayam masak pedas/ kari / kurma. It's more or less like the Malaysian 'acar timun'. 

0 comments: